Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Starter Update

Well, my first batch of starter was a fail.  I thought that there was some action happening at one point.  I could see bubbles, however, my parents later opened up to me in saying that they really had to squint to see the bubbles I was talking about.

So, I decided to give it another go, since we still have almost a week until Christmas (when I wanted to make a loaf of bread with the starter).  I thought about it, and realized that the whole wheat flour I had used was pretty old, and maybe had a stale smell to it.  This made me think that any yeast particles in the flour would probably be dead.  So, I started a new batch of starter a couple nights ago using brand spanking new flour, and guess what?  I think I already see action 48 hours in.  No, for real this time.  No squinting!  AND, another good sign is that it smells sort of sour, just like the informational video said it would (it did not smell sour with my first batch).

So, I am really excited that I may have successfully captured some live, natural yeast!  Hooray!  It's alive, it's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiive!




No comments:

Post a Comment